Sunday, November 21, 2010

Game Collector or Player?


I have known people that cherish every game they buy and have a library to prove it.  It is impressive to look at the bookshelves of games and marvel at the electronic playground that is presented to you.  There is something cool about that, but it's not me. I am not one thats real big on nostalgia.  Sure I would love to have my original circa 1970's GI Joe Helicopter back or my other prize possession;  the Evil Knievel Sports Cycle Stunt set!  But I don't and it doesn't bother me. (well maybe just a little)


So I don't collect games, as I try to get some value for them before it's too late to get he next big game . I usually go the route of Gamestop and with my bonus card I get an additional percentage added to my trade in.  Yes I could make more selling them on ebay or craigslist but that takes time, and sometimes I hate to say I am an impulse buyer.  My latest impulse buy was Rapala's bass Pro Fishing with the awesome fishing rod peripheral.  I hear some guys on GuG forums taking about it and thought that would be cool to get with the guys and have a fishing tournament online!  Well I normally do my homework but this time I didn't and my review reflects it.

I always buy the latest sport games.  I will never keep playing Tiger Woods, NCAA or Madden 10 when 11 is already out. I can't help myself always thinking new has to be better right?  I have always purchased the latest shooters even though some of them are not better.  Modern Warfare 2 comes to mind.  So to keep my obsession in tact I trade most my games in to get something for them.

I guess thats why I am not huge on Arcade XBOX Live titles and especially not nostalgic titles (Like Tecmo Bowl) .  I have some and like a few but the graphics and game play of arcade games just seems to be old technology to me.

While it would be great to have that library.  To me they would be nothing more than a bookshelf to ogle over. Cause I doubt I would go back and play anything older than what's hot right now.  Now don't get me wrong,  if someone was nice enough to purchase me that Evil Knievel Stunt Sports Cycle I am sure I could find some plywood a couple of bricks and a ditch outside to try some jumps out on!

So tell me are you a game collector or a new game player?

2 comments:

  1. i used to be a game colector, but in the past years I turned to a new game player, mainly because the game prices are high and it's just easier to trade my old games in for new ones, I mean when friends come over, and they have a choice of playing with my new kinect system (in my personal opinion the future of gaming) or an old version of jet set radio for the original xbox that is a throwback. I mean sure it is a pretty good game back then, but I say embrace new technology I mean there's a reason that we don't play pong any more because video games got better. I mean it was great when it came out but that was the best that they could do back then. don't you want to play the best of now? Good stuff

    ReplyDelete