Thursday, November 4, 2010

Can you sense the motion?

I have read way too many Kinect game reviews today and many of them are in the 50-75 range. Seems typical since every console out now has motion sensor type games. It's really nothing new. Yes the camera looks cool but is it really that different? When thinking back to the Wii launch, the reviews Wii received were all pretty good and it was groundbreaking at the time. Now motion sensor technology has gotten better, more precise; however, the way you play doesn't really change. The Wii was new, exciting, different. That wore off pretty quick when I realized I actually enjoy sitting down to play games. I mean if I need to get up it's probably cause my bladder is full or I need a drink. If i want to do exercise I go to the gym. If I want to game I do it sitting down relaxing.

But there is a time and place for these stand up and sling your arm games. Its with the family, and friends. You know the holidays, the afternoon cookouts, the birthday get togethers. That's when these types of games are golden. They are normally easy to pick up and play, they have some competitive aspects to them and all ages normally are welcome. I think thats what sold the Wii so well. Not for the technology, but something people can do/play together. The technology no matter how new it is will get old eventually, however playing something with family and friends doesn't.

Heck I should know I am the owner of 2 XBOX 360's (Kinect is now at the house), a Will with Wii motion plus, and a PS3 with move. All of them have their good and bad points, and all of them serve a purpose at one time or another. But all of them still get used when family and friends are over. Its not uncommon for me and my wife and son to break them out and play something to pass the time on a Sunday afternoon. I even have a sneaking suspicion I may even be dancing this afternoon/evening now that my wife just texted me this picture of the inside of her car.










No comments:

Post a Comment