Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Logitech F540 360/PS3 Wireless Headset Review

For Christmas I received the Logitech 540 Wireless Stereo headset.  I decided to give it the once over before posting any review on it.  Since Christmas I have put the headset to good use and feel I have the knowledge available to deliver the final GUG verdict.

The unit comes packaged with a power supply for the base unit, a base transmission unit, some standard RCA (Red, White) pass through cords,  a standard dual male 2.5 mm cord to attach your xbox 360 controller to the headset and a charging mini usb cord that hooks to the base unit for charging and doubles as a PS3 connection to your PS3 controller.

The set up is basic set up base station with power supply, I used the RCA cords on the output jacks of my TV and hooked them to the base station.  There are other ways to do this but this works best for my use so no matter what item is hooked to my TV I can use the Wireless headset.  The back of the base station has multiple hookups if you wish to hook directly from your audio source to the base station as well.  There is a input switcher on the headset to switch audio inputs if you hook it up this way.  Finally, charge up the headset, put them on, and put them to use! You will get about 10 hours of use on a single charge which based on my testing is about right.

The 2.4 ghz frequency and range of the headset is amazing as it easily reaches throughout my house through walls and rooms with no distortion. However, the biggest feature in my opinion is the ability to hear voices through the headset over audio volume with ease. I have used some Turtle Beach products in the past and this was my main complaint.  I could never hear the voice chat very well, and this system handles this flawlessly.

The headset is adjustable and seals well over the ears.  The ear cups could be a bit softer but I have not had my head hurt yet after using them.  They really seal out the ambient sounds of the room around you. So much it has gotten me in trouble for not listening at times! hehe.

They advertise that the F540 has a noise canceling mic however I can say I have had friends tell me what show is playing on my other TV, and they are right!  I have found if I turn down the voice audio this helps. I guess I could always just ask my wife to turn down the TV huh?

My favorite feature however is the ability to move the mic up and down as it automatically mutes when you place it in the upright position!  There is a mute button as well on the headset, and i am not sure why as this works quickly and easily.  By far my favorite feature of this headset, and it even has a LED that lights up red to show you it's muted!



Keep in mind this device is not surround sound capable only stereo sound but that sound is crystal clear for a wireless headset, and overall I give this device a 8.5 out of 10.


Let me know if you have any questions about this headset and i will try my best to answer them.

No comments:

Post a Comment