Thursday, March 3, 2011

(Temp) Fix your YLOD PS3 with a Hairdryer?





This sounds crazy right?  Well I was skeptical, but decided to try anyways since I already purchased a Slim model and Gamestop was only taking in models that boot up.  I wanted to try and use the transfer utility located in the system settings to transfer my account, saves, data etc to the new unit.  From what I understand this is about the only way to make this happen.   Anyways here is the method and the high pitched video that walked me through it !


Step 1: Basically you place PS3 upside down in box with the rear of the PS3 facing you. (i used the new box from the slim model) I have also seen towels. Basically making an oven of sorts, insulating the system to keep heat in. (seems like the opposite thing to do huh?) Then with hair dryer on high I heated the PS3 for 15 minutes blowing into the rear vents. For a while I even set up the hair dryer to blow on its own so I wouldn't have to hold it for the entire 15 mins. Basically the PS3's case becomes hot to the touch.

Step 2 involves cooling the PS3 back down using a fan for 15 mins. I left the PS3 in the box and used a stand fan to blow on the PS3 to slowly cool down the system. 

Step 3. involves hooking up the necessary cables and trying to turn on the unit. Cross your fingers and hope for the best.

My PS3 actually didn't turn on at first I still had the YLOD as they call it. But my PS3 wasn't fully cooled down as I could still feel a little heat when i plugged it back up. So I started pressing the power button over and over to no avail. I ate dinner and tried again and couldn;t beleive it as the light stayed green and the system stayed on!

I was rushing to get the data transfer setup to get all my data transfered over using a Lan cable. There was no need to hurry because just getting this setup where it would work was ridiculous. I cursed Sony about 100 times trying to get this transfer utility to work. I consider myself very tech savvy and this was ridiculous. Anyways after and hour and a half of messing with the Utility i was finally able to get it to start the transfer process. then that took about 1 hour and a half. But it was finally done. I haven;t had the time to see if my downloaded Killzone 3 map pack is there but hopefully it transfered over. 

Here is the video from this genius (sounds like a 10 year old) that fixed my PS3! LOL This is a 3 part video and they are linked at the end of the video. 



No comments:

Post a Comment