Friday, February 25, 2011

KZ3 from a Dogg's perspective.


I figured Id give my opinion on this game from someone who is not familiar with the series and also for those that are on the fence of purchasing this. First off let me just say that this game is definitely a worthy purchase. I am a veteran when it comes to first person shooters so adapting from one style to another is not hard. There is a definite learning curve, especially if your using Playstation Move, but once you get the basics down and find your flow, it is a fun and addicting game. Second, I have no clue how the series got to where it is at so following the story from the start of the game I was confused but they do have a fairly long cutscene in the beginning with a small tutorial hidden in between.

What is amazing about this game is definitely the graphics. Amazing landscapes, seeing the snow blow through the wind, it was all jaw dropping nice. What was not so great was the audio dialogue not syncing up with the characters lip movements. It was like watching an old kung fu flick when the cutscenes were playing. I do know there was or is a patch due for a fix as well as some other fixes which I will get into shortly. The campaign though is not bad, it does seem short and even though I havent beaten it yet, I do get the sense that I am very close to the end. It does offer co-op campaign so playing with a friend would be a nice change of pace.

MP is where the game is at as with most first person shooters. Ive learned to hip fire more instead of aiming down the sights. It seems more beneficial and easier to gain points when your not stuck in a Call of Duty frame of mind. That was probably the hardest thing to remind myself. This game stands on its own merits as does the Battlefield series and Halo series. Obviously the biggest sticking points are the various server issues. Getting in games was a pain with numerous different errors popping up and getting stuck playing on the same map over and over. Guerilla Games does know the issues and is on top of it which is great. I guess there are pros and cons for the type of service that the Playstation Network offers. When I was in games, the matches flowed flawlessly. The screen may be busy with so much going on that you can easily get lost but it is not too hard to follow the gameflow. To me, it plays similarly to Team Fortress 2 with the various classes which I love TF2 so I do like the setup for KZ3. I think once the server issues are addressed and I am more familiar with the maps, this game will get alot of spin time. The game also offers bot play so if your not comfortable playing against others yet, bot matches allow you to test the classes with everything unlocked and getting familiar with the maps. This is a great way to learn the core mechanics of the game while also finding what classes your going to go with when you do decide to play against other gamers.

To summarize the game is definitely worth a look if your not sure. Like I said before, this game stands on its own merits and should not be compared to another other shooter out there. Now I dont have PS Move but Im sure my friend Kobra could give you the run down on how that works and how you might have huge advantage over those that just the Dual Shock controller. All in all, Im glad I made the decision to buy this game.

No comments:

Post a Comment