Friday, December 10, 2010

We Run These Streets

If a remake is in the works, its over.
I remember back in the day when I first started playing video games me and my friends always had competitions with each other. Our weekly game of choice was either Street Fighter 2 or Killer Instinct on SNES at the time. It was a constant all nighter marathon that always involved lots of trash talking and lots of broken controllers. I know Ive spent more money on controllers than actual games for the Super Nintendo. It was these fighting games along with Mortal Kombat that got me into the competitive side of gaming. Staying up late, learning the combos and moves it became a science. My friends and I always thought we could not be beat as a group.

 It wasnt long until we started getting shooters and other multiplayer games. They included of course Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros for the N64. Oh yeah, there was another decent game you may have heard called Goldeneye. My first semester in college pretty much revolved around this game. The late night madness, the arguments over using Odd Job, and proximity mines...UGGGH!!!! Like the previous games we thought we were bad asses.

Best game ever.
The trend continued when computers started to become the norm. I remember the days when I lugged my 20 inch CRT Monitor and computer over to my friends house for LAN parties. We played all the shooters. Jedi Knight, Quake, Rainbow 6, Unreal Tournament. We somehow always came back to probably my favorite game of all time. Counter Strike dominated me and my friends time. It is the game that developed my shooter skills more than any game than Ive ever played. Probably the biggest reason why was it was the first game we played online. It was then I realized that even though I thought I was good, I was very mediocre compared to the rest of the world. I think me and my friends spent hours upon hours playing to get better. It was an obsession. Before and after class. Before and after work. If you ever see the MTV reality show True Life where they chronicled the video game addicts....lol that was us(not literally mind you) in a nutshell with this game. The only way for us to beat everyone in that game was to play and we played alot. More than I care to admit. Not only did it open a door for online gaming but also local lan tournaments which we competed, lol but never came close to winning. It was probably some of the most fun gaming Ive done.

 Nowadays, gaming online is the standard.  You can sign up for any tournaments on the web and play online from the comfort of your own home. There's also gaming leagues like MLG. Of course you have to be pretty good to compete and thus you need alot of play time. Competition is as fierce as it was back then but those times before it became as popular seemed more engaging. I think in my opinion that even though we can still game with friends online, it's not as personal when their sitting next to you and that's where the social interaction seems to be missing for me. I still find it cool though gathering a party and just blowing away the competition in Halo or Call of Duty. Its just dealing with the new excuses you constantly hear when they lose.



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh... running and gunning in CS. Those early days were tough though. Still remember all the moaning and groaning over "glass camping" in that one room off of the garage where the window was impenetrable. I think that was my first introduction to to gaming with voice interaction (Roger Wilco, I think). Once you had that team communication going for you, you were tough to beat.

    My first to introduction to FPS gaming started with Wolfenstein but my first love was Goldeneye. Four player splitscreen with my brother and his girlfriend. She was really bad so we'd give her settings that made her virtually indestructible. When you saw "The General" bolting around a corner, it was terrifying. :)

    Perfect Dark with bots was a great successor... loved and loathed that laptop gun. It all depended on whether or not I was the one carrying it.

    ReplyDelete