Sunday, December 12, 2010

3D for you and me?


3D. Is it for you or me? 3D is taking off again in movie theaters, homes, and even the gaming scene. More content is becoming available each month, but is it worth the cost of the gear needed to get this effect? Is it even safe? Read on for my unbiased non sales thoughts on this.


I am lucky enough (for now) to work in the retail industry and get to see most newer technology before it drops in the stores. About 4 years ago or so, I seen my first 3DTV. Samsung was trying this thru PC emulation on their DLP tvs. Mitsubishi even made a laser TV in 3D that we seen in a huge 18 wheeler display truck, but it failed to release. Perhaps due to the price as it was around $6k. Fast forward to this year as most manufacturers have released 3D ready or enabled models that work from Blu-Ray players. Much better delivery this time as it has finally taken off and the pricing is much cheaper than in the past, but is it worth it now?

I say no. Each time I have seen a demo from different manufacturers sets, my head hurts about 10 minutes into things. This could be due to not using it over time, but it makes me wonder about the safety of things as I am not the only one that complains about this. This reminds me of the color wheel issues that many DLPs had when they first released as many had issues then as well. I also worry about children as who knows the damage it could be doing to them now or everyone in the years ahead. I have not seen any studies or looked into it much, but it is something to be aware of and you may want to demo a set before you buy due to this. The content has been limited as many movies will only have 3D effects here and there as you may be waiting several scenes to see an effect, then another wait to see something again. It takes a pretty big screen to get those nice effects as well. I would not use anything in 3D under 50 inches at this point.

Still, prices are going down, so you may be able to get a deal on something now, so here is why I would recommend one. Kids. Most of the content is for kids and families now, so it could be a benefit in this case if you can get over the safety part of it. Gaming. Games are on the way and now available and may be big in the future if developed correctly. Sunny Crockett. Yes, if you have to have that Ferrari, then 3D will be for you and you will not mind paying the fee to be the coolest on your block.

$$$. Speaking of fees, don't be fooled thinking you are set once you get that new 3DTV. There is more to it than the TV alone. You will need a 3D source or player. 3D approved HDMI cables, a new 3D receiver if you use one for video pass thru now, a 3D transmitter (many do not come with the TV), 3D glasses, and batteries as most will not last very long or some models do not come with rechargeable type batteries. Start adding those things up and you can see this will be a pretty big investment.

My advice, drive a Civic instead of that Ferrari. This is the first year for most 3D manufacturers, so things are buggy. Wait till next year or the year after and quality will be dramatically improved. Prices will also go down by then and more content will be available if this is indeed going to stick around. Look for a deal on a 120 HZ LCD or a plasma as you can strike it rich on deals for these models now.

No comments:

Post a Comment